Home > Our Student Development > Co-Curricular Activities > Performing Arts > Contemporary Dance
Home > Our Student Development > Co-Curricular Activities > Sports and Games > Wushu
3.30pm – 6.00pm
2.45pm – 5.45pm
- Allow interested students to gain a better understanding and appreciation towards Wushu and Chinese culture in general
- Expose students to different Wushu routines and develop effective athletes through quality training
- Develop resilient and disciplined individuals through regular Wushu training
- Develop confident and courageous individuals through participating in Wushu competitions and performances
- Nurture respectful and ethical individuals by imparting moral values during Wushu training
- Foster teambuilding and cohesion by providing opportunities for students to work together as a team
- Provide opportunities for students to develop their leadership potential and abilities
- Encourage an active and healthy lifestyle to maintain a positive state of mind and body.
In Nan Chiau High School, Wushu is considered a “performing sport”, consisting elements that are characteristic to both the sports and performing arts.
Wushu is derived from Chinese martial arts and it teaches “Wu De”（武德）, which is the martial code of conduct. Learners and practitioners of Wushu are expected to display excellence in their moral character and to uphold integrity and moral courage at all times.
Wushu improves one’s flexibility, speed, strength, coordination and endurance. It also instils discipline and respect for others and for oneself.
Unlike any other contact sport, Wushu is considered relatively safe due to its performance nature.
Wushu is gaining popularity nationwide as more parents and students are coming to recognise the benefits that learning Wushu could reap, be in terms of health or character development.
Our Team Singapore has also done the nation proud by constantly achieving excellent results in the SEA Games. Wushu is truly an emerging sport to be enjoyed by all Singaporeans, especially the youths.
Highlight(s) of Activities
- Annual National Interschool Wushu Championships
- Annual National Wushu Open Championships
- School & Public Performances – e.g. Chinese New Year Concert, Performance for visiting guests & at cultural events etc.
- Wushu Exchanges with Other Schools
- Annual Wushu Camp & Clinic
- Sports Enrichment Programme – e.g. Archery, Bowling, Canoeing, Kayaking, Dragon Boating, Rockclimbing etc.
- Student-initiated Teambuilding Activities & Outings.
2022 National Schools Games Wushu Championships
- ‘B’ Div Boys – 2nd International Sword, 3rd Position
- ‘B’ Girls – 1st International Nandao, 2nd Position
- ‘B’ Girls – 1st International Nanquan, 4th Position
- ‘B’ Girls – 1st International Spear, 4th Position
- ‘B’ Girls – 2nd International Cudgel, 4th Position
- ‘C’ Boys – 1st International Changquan,1st Position
- ‘C’ Boys – 1st International Sword, 1st Position
- ‘C’ Girls – Formulated 5 Duan Nanquan, 2nd position
- ‘C’ Girls – Formulated 5 Duan Nanquan, 4th Position
- ‘C’ Girls – Formulated 5 Duan Sword, 4th Position
• B Division Girls 1st International Changquan, NICOLE LIN ZI LU, class: 3E, position 8/20
• B Division Girls 1st International Sword, NICOLE LIN ZI LU, class: 3E, position 7/24
• B Division Boys 1st International Spear, GARETH TEO YI XI, class: 3G, position 7/25
• B Division Girls Group Weapon, position 7/17, TAN CHING YEE, class: 3F, GOH YI XIAN, class: 4C, ELYSE NG QIAN YING, class: 3F, CHUA JIA YI CLARABELLE, class: 3F, GWEN KU JIA YE, class: 4F. NICOLE LIN ZI LU, class: 3E
• 3E Xylon Chan Yi Chong, National Interschool Wushu Championships, 8th, ‘B’ Div Boys, Spear (1st International).
• 4B Trina Toh Pei Jie, Singapore School Sports Council Sportsmanship Award.
• 4B Trina Toh Pei Jie, National Interschool Wushu Championships, 7th, ‘B’ Div Girls, Sword (2nd International).
• 2H Xylon Chan Yi Chong, National Interschool Wushu Championships, 5th, ‘C’ Div Boys, Spear (1st International).
• 1A Nicole Lin Zi Lu, National Interschool Wushu Championships, 7th, ‘C’ Div Girls, Sword (1st International).
• 2B Goh Yi Xian, National Wushu & Sanda Championships, 2nd, ‘Under 14’ Girls, Cudgel (2nd International).
• 2B Gwen Ku Jia Ye, National Wushu & Sanda Championships, 2nd, ‘Under 14’ Girls, Sword (1st International)
• 1A Nicole Lin Zi Lu, National Wushu & Sanda Championships, 3rd, ‘Under 14’ Girls, Sword (1st International).
• 1H Clarabelle Chua Jia Yi, National Wushu & Sanda Championships, 2nd, ‘Under 14’ Girls, Broadsword (1st International)
• 1H Gareth Teo Yi Xi, National Wushu & Sanda Championships, 2nd, ‘Under 14’ Boys, Spear (1st International).